There’s nothing more unhelpful than snuggling up on the sofa with your blanket, chocolate and chilled glass of Pinot after a break-up, only to flick through Netflix and be reminded of your ex.
Their crap taste in telly keeps being recommended for you, ramming home the cold hard fact that from this point on, your Netflix sessions are going to be utterly devoid of ‘chill’ (until your next, better hot date comes along, that is).
Fear not, there’s a simple life hack you need to know about to put an end to this unnecessary emotional torture and downright inconvenience.
The problem lies with Netflix’s viewing algorithm, which powers its usually helpful ‘Recommended for You’ feature. This works by suggesting films and series based on others that you have enjoyed watching.
This is great if your Netflix has been yours and yours alone, but if your boyfriend or girlfriend has been using your account then chances are, you’re getting recommendations that do not match your (far superior, naturally) taste.
Here’s what to do:
- Hover over your name in the top right corner of your Netflix profile and select ‘Your Account’ from the menu.
- Scroll down to ‘My Profile’ and select ‘Viewing Activity’.
- Click the ‘X’ next to anything you want to delete, clicking ‘Remove Series’ where possible to speed things up.
- Ratings can cause issues too, so select ‘Rating’ on your ‘My Activity’ page and do the same thing there.
- Give Netflix 24 hours and ta da, all traces of your ex have been removed!
Next time a pal or significant other decides to barge in on your account, set them up with a separate profile so your recommendations and your sanity remain intact.